
There are many names associated with unrequited love: Cyrano de Bergerac, Don Quixote, Charlie Brown, the list goes on. But nothing could be more crushing to the heart of an individual than to be the victim of unrequited love. The numbers are unknown to me at this point, but I would think that millions of people around the world – both men and women, but mostly men – suffer from loving someone who does not love them back. I have experienced this feeling numerous times, and I can, without any hesitation, declare that unrequited love stinks. That's why I declare this week – February 14th through February 20th – to be Unrequited Love Awareness Week. It is a week to recognize those among us who may be suffering from this heartbreaking predicament, and perhaps help them get out of it by showing them what everyone in this world needs: A relationship where romance is a mutually contributing factor.
Also take note that while suffering from Unrequited Love is a negative feeling, the only word in the English language which recognizes the observance of some event or holiday is the word Happy. So, while the idea itself is a negative one which brings much unhappiness, observance of a recognition of such an idea with an attempt to seek out and help those who may be suffering from it can cause much happiness to all involved. Therefore, I put the word Happy in quotation marks, to indicate that the idea being recognized is, in and of itself not one that brings happiness.
As for the timing of this observance, well, Valentine's Day is the perfect day to recognize it, since with all the requited lovers out there, almost none of them recognize that there are still those who feel left out or excluded in something that all should be happily participating in (unless, of course, they don't want it, but that's another story). Maybe next year, I'll move it so that it ends on Valentine's Day (Feb. 8-14), to make it a goal for those unrequiteds to shake it on V-day.
As for this lowly blog, each day I'll try to find something to write about.
No comments :
Post a Comment