This has reference to the old fishing metaphor. Let's say you're fishing, and you have a fish on your hook that is certain to be a prize fish. Maybe your efforts to reel the fish in are so intense that the line breaks. Maybe the fish is too much for you to handle. In any case, you're forced to let the fish go. Same thing in this case. For whatever reason, the person doesn't go for you.
I've had several of these in my life. One went away to college in Idaho and came back at the end of her first semester engaged. Another met someone on the Internet. Another had the audacity of announcing her getting away from me (read: engagement) via text message, complete with smiling emoticon! (How's that for impersonal? I would have responded with a frowning emoticon if I wanted to.)
I have had a total of 7 of these situations. A few of these (including the one I wrote about yesterday) were unrequited loves.
As much as it sucks to have a love go unreciprocated or unrequited, it can be something else to let one get away from you.
No comments :
Post a Comment