13 February 2010

To all the girls who have said they want to be “just friends” with me…

Congratulations¡ You've succeeded in altering the course of reality, sending it askew of what I was anticipating. This misalignment is not pleasing to me, and will result in me being in a depressed state for a period of a few days (or months).

If the reason you give is that you just don’t feel ready for a relationship at the moment. Don’t worry, that feeling will pass soon, when some other guy proposes to you and you say yes without hesitation. Or when another guy you say you have no interest in asks you out, and suddenly the two of you are boyfriend and girlfriend.

So you’ve shunted me off into that “friend zone” of yours. Great¡ Is that what you do to all the guys who treat you like a human being? Seriously. Women say they want to be with a “nice guy,” but when such a guy (like myself) comes along, you say that you don’t see him as boyfriend material? How messed up is that? And when you come up to me, complaining about how you can’t seem to find that “Prince Charming” type who whisks you off to distant lands, where he confesses of his love to you and asks to be his fairy tale princess, do you know what I’m going to say? It’ll be something like this: “Snap out of it! Such a man does not exist, and in the off chance he actually does exist, I’m sure that there’s already a long line of women who would do anything to be his bride.” Then I’d point them to this article and let them know that the guy you're looking for has been here the whole time.

The future status of our relationship will depend on how long it has been since we first met, and how much emotionial investment I put into the relationship. If we’ve known each other for a long time, then it’s likely you’ve been leading me on. Bad. If I get the feeling the relationship may go somewhere (even if it doesn’t), I might invest a bit more emotional energy into the relationship than I would if I intended to be “just friends” with you, especially if you send me non-verbal signals indicating that you want to be more than “just friends” with me. If done the right way, at the right time, I might want to be friends with you. If done the wrong way, at the wrong time, the results are disastrous. If you send me signals of interest whenever we’re close by, and do so for an extended period of time, causing me to make a huge emotional investment, then drop the “let’s just be friends” bomb, you might as well rip my heart out of my chest, saying, “You won’t be needing this anymore,” because that’s how it will feel to me. That will take months, even years to heal. Once it does, why would I want to be friends with you?

Just be aware, if you place me in that so-called “friend zone,” in a way that is not as disastrous as I just described, I may just lay dormant — hopeful that some day, you just might change your mind. There have been many fruitful relationships that have sprouted in this manner.

Keep in mind that by the time you placed me in the “friend zone,” the seeds of a relationship have been planted. The seeds may sprout and grow into something great and beautiful. They may sprout briefly before being washed away. They may not even grow at all. The result will depend on how both of us — you and me — treat them.

Sincerely,
Me.

No comments :