14 February 2010

What's So Happy About Valentine's Day?

It's Valentine's Day. A day that celebrates love (eros in Greek) between man and woman. Everywhere I go, people seem to greet me with a "Happy Valentine's Day." What's there for the lonely to be happy about? Seriously. He has nobody to love (at least not in the way that Valentine's Day celebrates). What's just as bad is when someone he likes already has a boyfriend, who obviously is not him.

I've been stating this for a while now:
∀(G∈I)∄(G∈Tʹ)
Or, to put it in a different way:
∀(G), (I∩Tʹ)={ }

An explanation follows:
G is what is known in statistics as a "sample space." This sample space consists of all the single ladies of the church in New York.
I is a subset of G, indicative of all the ladies I am interested in.
T stands for "taken." The opposite of T, T-prime or Tʹ, another subset of G. T includes those who have boyfriends, those who want to be "just friends" with me, and those who are otherwise not interested in me. All those in T are currently unavailable, so the only ones left are those in Tʹ.

The first statement basically says that for all G that are in I (∀(G∈I)), there does not exist any G which is also in Tʹ (∄(G∈Tʹ))

The second statement reiterates the first, basically saying that the intersection of subsets I and T is null. This illustration shows what I mean.



As you can see, there’s no overlap between I and Tʹ.

With all the pressure placed upon me by family, friends, and the Church, looking at this is depressing. They encourage dating, but how can I when those in I are not in Tʹ, and those in Tʹ (assuming there are any in Tʹ) are not in I?

They say that there are “plenty of fish in the sea,” but how can that be when it seems like I’m fishing in the Dead Sea?

I have one person that I know (I don’t want to use the word “friend” because of the hope that it might progress beyond that, though we’ve known each other long enough that even that hopefulness is beginning to fade) who always seems to put a positive spin on something negative I might say (something I like about this person). But sometimes, I feel like I’m in some kind of black hole of negativity, such that not even the most positive thing could help make me feel better.

I invite you, the reader to try and prove me wrong.

No comments :