07 September 2011

The A Train? I've Got It Covered!

Over my summer blog hiatus, I did manage to make a couple of time lapse videos featuring the A line.

For those of you who don't know, the A line is one of the longest lines in the New York City subway, and includes the longest one-seat ride in the system.

These two videos cover the whole thing, all three branches, and it will take just a few minutes to watch them. Enjoy!


First up is a video called 104° In the Shade, which was recorded on a day which was not only the hottest day of 2011, it was one where an incident at the 14th Street station caused all 8th Avenue subway service to run local. The train I used was scheduled to leave Columbus Circle at 4:19 PM, and head to Rockaway Park. The video explains the rest. (This trip covers 22.6 miles)



The next one starts at Lefferts, runs to 207th, and out to Far Rockaway. The most difficult part of making this video was finding a train of R32 cars that was going to Far Rockaway! I found a train where all 10 cars were signed as going to Far Rockaway, but it wound up going to Lefferts! So I had to do the Rockaway-bound run on a weekend, where it ran via Delancey Street between West 4th and Jay Street, which also meant running on the local south of 59th Street… AGAIN! (This trip covers 55.4 miles: 23.6 miles northbound, 31.8 miles southbound)

Oh, and despite the name of the video, the music was NOT provided by Duke Ellington, though I'm sure it would have been nice.



So there you have it, two videos covering about 78 miles of trips on the A line.

No comments :