28 May 2012

The Doorman Building

I sort of understand the reason for apartment buildings staffed with a doorman, but the protocol surrounding entry into such buildings has always baffled me. It's like having to use a typewriter when you are used to using a word processor on a computer to write a paper, or having to use a quill or a fountain pen when one is used to using a ball-point pen.

Regardless of the type of building, there is always the chance of being denied entry, but it seems so much greater when a doorman building is involved. Compare this with a standard apartment building. Upon approaching a standard building, the visitor encounters a locked entry door with an array of buttons corresponding to each apartment within. The visitor pushes the button for the desired apartment. An audible alarm is sounded within the apartment. In response, someone inside the apartment pushes a button on an intercom that unlocks the locked entry door, admitting the visitor into the building, usually without question.

In contrast, there's an extra layer of scrutiny involved with doorman buildings. That extra scrutiny is somewhat frivolous. However, that is a bit alleviated when I show up with someone else going the same way. Then, I feel more comfortable.

In such cases, I simply wait outside for someone I know, and go in with them.

No comments :