19 December 2007

Messiah Has Come

No, I don't mean that the Second Coming of Jesus Christ has taken place (though it wouldn't be that far in the future anyway), but the Church in Manhattan had its annual Messiah sing-along this past Sunday, and I have a few things to say about it.

First off, the soloists and musicians in the orchestra were great. The chorus parts (filled in by the "audience") were a bit lacking at times, but filled in at most places where it was needed.

For example, at the beginning of And He Shall Purify, the sopranos were supposed to come in right at the beginning. However, there was some dead air for a second (at least until they all thought, "Oh crap, we're supposed to be singing now?" and then started singing.

I also have the recurring gripe about how we don't sing the whole thing. Here's the listing of the pieces, striking out everything that wasn't on the program.
    1. Overture
    2. Comfort Ye
    3. Every Valley shall be exalted
    4. And the Glory of the Lord
    5. Thus saith the Lord
    6. But who may abide
    7. And He shall purify
    8. Behold A Virgin Shall Conceive
    9. O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion
    10. For behold, darkness shall cover the earth
    11. The people that walked in darkness
    12. For unto Us a Child is born
    13. Pastoral Symphony
    14. There were shepherds
    15. And the Angel said unto them
    16. And suddenly there was with the Angel
    17. Glory to God
    18. Rejoice greatly
    19. Then shall the eyes of the blind
    20. He shall feed
    21. His yoke is easy
    1. Behold the lamb of God
    2. He was despised
    3. Surely He hath borne our griefs
    4. And with His stripes
    5. All we like sheep have gone astray
    6. All they that see him laugh him to scorn
    7. He trusted in God
    8. Thy rebuke hath broken His heart
    9. Behold, and see
    10. He was cut off out of the land of the living
    11. But Thou didst not leave
    12. Lift up your heads
    13. Unto which of the angels
    14. Let all the angels
    15. Thou art gone up on high
    16. The Lord gave the word
    17. How beautiful are the feet
    18. Their sound is gone out
    19. Why do the nations rage?
    20. Let us break their bonds
    21. He that dwelleth
    22. Thou shalt break them
    23. Hallelujah
    1. I know that my redeemer liveth
    2. Since by man
    3. Behold I tell you
    4. The trumpet shall sound
    5. Then shall be brought to pass
    6. O death
    7. But thanks be to God
    8. If God be for us
    9. Worthy is the Lamb

As you can see by the strikethroughs, much of the second and third parts were omitted. The two arias in the third part (45 and 48) were cut short. Also, He was despised was also cut short. (I don't blame them for that though. The whole thing is 10 minutes long, anyway.) I was informed that we would be singing "the whole Messiah" by the one conducting a sacrament meeting for one of the singles wards. Obviously, this was not so. Fortunately, I have the whole "whole Messiah" on my iPod, so I listened to the omitted sections on my way home, and was completed before I walked in the door. And before that, they did an encore of the Hallelujah chorus. Personally, I think Worthy is the Lamb is the most powerful chorus of the whole thing.

Also included in the program was an intermission between His yoke is easy and Behold the Lamb of God. Hot chocolate was served, but it was the water-based kind. I prefer the milk-based kind. Anyway, it was a good time had by all.

No comments :