03 December 2009

OOPS! is brought to you by erasers. Don't make a mistake without one.

A couple of weeks ago, signs like this one appeared in dining halls across the Queens College campus:

Bottled Beverage Price Increase. The 2009 New York State Bottle Bill(No. S59) became effective November 1, 2009. As a result, starting November 30th, Chartwells is required to charge an additional 0.7 cents on all bottled beverages. For additional information on the New York State Bottle Bill visit www.dec.ny.gov
At the time, the price of a bottle of soda was $1.50. Note the amount of the increase stated on the sign, as quoted above: 0.7¢. As is (hopefully) still taught in homes and elementary schools across the country, one cent, which can be written in figures as 1¢ or $0.01, is a hundredth part (1/100) of one dollar. Also (hopefully) taught in elementary schools is the concept of real values between zero and one – “Fractions.” Young students also (hopefully) learn about a concept called “place value,” which essentially means that for each digit to the left or right of the decimal point, the digit’s value increases or decreases by a factor of 10. Therefore that 0.7¢ increase reported on these signs means that the increase is less than one cent (7×10-1 < 0×100). If anyone remembers that sketch from Square One TV, that dealt with the different ways of expressing fractions (which first aired in 1987), 0.7 could also be written as 70% and 7/10. (I should note that they write and say the decimal form of the fraction without the leading zero, but its value is the same.) If you don’t, I miraculously found it on YouTube. Watch and learn.



Why am I going on and on about the value of “zero point 7 cents”? Well, when I first saw this sign, I thought that it was interesting that they would increase the price by seven-tenths of a cent, bringing the price to $1.507 (or more sensibly, rounding up to the nearest cent, $1.51). On November 30th, they increased the price, but instead of seven-tenths of a cent, the price increased by seven cents! The amount of the increase was ten times the amount reported on the signs!

This is just a part of a disturbing trend that I’ve seen across the region, where people seem to be forgetting about place value, and how it relates to dollars and cents. If I were to go to a store which displays a sign advertising copies at a price of “.10¢” I would easily expect to walk in, make ten copies of something, and pay exactly one cent, because the sign advertises copies at one-tenth of a cent. However, if I am asked to pay a dollar, I would protest, saying that the sign says “.10¢,” and that “.10¢” is less than one cent, and 10×.10¢ is 1.00¢.

My point: If you’re going to raise the price of something by seven cents, just say that you’re raising the price by seven cents, not a fraction of a cent. Besides, I don’t think I have enough coupons with statements of cash value being a fraction of a cent to make seven-tenths of a cent!

No comments :