30 January 2009

A Mathematical Inaccuracy.

Last night, I was watching NBC. Now, I don't usually watch TV on Thursday night because I am out of the house. But last night, I didn't feel like going out, so I was watching TV. Anyway, After American Idol, I switched over to NBC to watch The Office and 30 Rock. As the credits for The Office comes to a close, an announcer says the following.

What's 10 Rock times 3 Rock? It's 30 Rock, coming up next.


I then said to myself, "It's 30 Rock squared." Obviously, someone over at NBC didn't do well in algebra.

Given that Rock is an unknown variable, or a series of unknown variables, the product of 10·Rock and 3·Rock would be 10·3·Rock·Rock, or 30·Rock².

The only ways to express 30 Rock as the product of two factors would be to take two of the factors of 30 (when when multiplied together produce 30 as the product), and then add Rock to one of those factors.

No comments :