29 August 2008

This game of Scrabble is for adults only.

The title for this post is the text of a sign that should have been posted after a move I made in a game of Scrabble I was playing a few months ago. Here's the situation. This is what the board looked like when it came to my turn.

              U             B
      B A R N S       P A G E
        M                   S
      M E E T         F A R T
        N   A       H A T    
          J O G S     D      
                U   V E T    
          W I N E   O   O    
      P E A   U     I   I    
          R   N E R D   L I E
    W R I T         E        
C   O               D E A L  
O   R                        
Y O K E                      
                             


It should also be noted that there were no tiles remaining to draw, and my rack had these seven tiles.

Z10 X8 C3 S1 D2 N1 N1


It kinda resembled the bottom row of a QWERTY keyboard (except for the D, the S, and the extra N of course). I pondered over it for a while, and then, I found a word I could use. I put it on the board.

              U             B
      B A R N S       P A G E
        M                   S
      M E E T         F A R T
        N   A       H A T    
          J O G S     D      
                U   V E T    
          W I N E   O   O    
      P E A   U     I   I   S
          R   N E R D   L I E
    W R I T         E       X
C   O               D E A L  
O   R                        
Y O K E                      
                             


I explained that I put it there just to get rid of the X, and play continued from there. Of course, the mention of sex in the church in the context of being used in a game was so funny (especially with words like nun and amen already on the board), that the four of us playing (all but myself being adults who had children) couldn't help but laugh. A lot. One of the other players even suggested using the word, "HEYSEXY" to get rid of his tiles, which resulted in even more laughter. What's worse was that their kids were in the room, hence the desire for the sign with the post's title. One boy asked his father, "What's so funny?" I replied, "We'll tell you when you're older." Play continued, each of us putting down words where we could, sometimes without regard to what other non-words were being formed, and here's the board at the finish.

              U             B
      B A R N S       P A G E
        M                   S
H     M E E T         F A R T
I F   A N   A       H A T    
  U   L   J O G S     D      
G R I T         U   V E T    
O         W I N E   O   O    
      P E A   U     I   I   S
          R   N E R D   L I E
    W R I T E       E Z     X
C   O       E N D   D E A L Y
O   R       L         N      
Y O K E                      
                             


So there you have it. You just saw "sex" in church. Now get your mind out of the gutter before I march in there and kick it out!

No comments :