If you have a sizable music library like I do, you may notice that certain songs sound like each other. Such that when you hear them on your iPod, you hear the start of the song, think it's a certain song, and then realize a few seconds later that it's not the song you thought it was, but something completely different.
Take this example: "Stop and Stare" by OneRepublic sounds almost exactly identical to "Speed of Sound" by Coldplay. Weird, right? Get this, now. I have four songs which open with sound effects that make it feel like you're listening to a record. I keep them all in a playlist called "Record Open." They are: "Where It's At" by Beck, "Say You'll Be There" by the Spice Girls, "Trapped in the Drive-Thru" by “Weird Al” Yankovic, and "I Don't Wanna Wait" by the Veronicas. However, each record open has a distinctive sound to it. The Spice Girls song has a distinct pop in it which none of the others has. The other three sond more similar. It gets somewhat confusing if all four of these are in the same general playlist.
Then there are songs that sound like each other. A recent example involves The Veronicas and P!nk. The song from the Veronicas is "4ever," and P!nk's song is "U + Ur Hand" I'm not sure if it's the chord progression, the general meter of the song, or what, but those two songs sound very similar to be a coincidence. Just do a YouTube search with the names of those two songs, and you'll see what I mean. Whenever I hear one, I kinda sing along to the other, especially during the last chorus. Like I said, I don't know what it is about these two songs.
No comments :
Post a Comment